If you’ve been finding out about how to improve your website ranking, then you'll have heard about the power of link building. Search engines like Google rely on inbound links to inform their algorithm of site popularity, authority, and interest. As a result, focusing on link building strategies that can position your site correctly are ideal for generating top rankings. SEO expert Michael Fleischner introduces the link building techniques that work for him.
As someone who makes a living helping websites reach number one rankings, I have seen my fair share of link building strategies. The old adage, “if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is” comes to mind. There are many sites who promise tons of inbound links. Others profess to provide high quality links that are sure to boost your ranking.
I have found that there are a number of link building strategies that work and others that are less valuable. Before revealing the specific link building techniques that can take your rankings to the next level, let me offer up some guidelines for any link activity you may undertake. To be effective, follow these link building guidelines.
1. Acquire links with authority from within your niche. The best types of links are those that have some level of authority. The term authority can mean that a site has a lot of inbound links, is ranked well for certain keywords, or has sufficient age. Seek out sites with authority to accelerate your improved website rankings.
2. Attract links that can transfer high Google PR. Websites that have a high Google page rank, 3 or higher, are already considered valuable from Google’s perspective. These should be at the top of your link-getting agenda and will be easy to find. Search for top ranking sites searching competitive keywords in your niche. Also, be sure to use the Google Toolbar which can identify page rank automatically.
3. Seek out link variety. Acquiring lots of links from just a handful of domains is not as valuable as receiving inbound links from a variety of sources. Seek out links from as many unique sites within your niche as possible. These may include news sites, forums, blogs, etc.
4. Use the proper anchor text when possible. A place where many sites go wrong in their attempt to build inbound links is by not utilizing the proper link text strategy. Focus on using keywords in your anchor text when appropriate, and not your url (example: http://www.yoursite.com)
These guidelines are essential to follow if you want to make your link acquisition campaigns effective. If you were to take a single site that has thousands of inbound links, but is of poor quality, it could easily be outranked by sites with fewer inbound links of high quality. Always focus on quality over quantity when link building.
Attracting quality links
To have top rankings you need quality links. But how do you get them? Once you understand the guidelines that are essential for effective link building, the next step is to acquire links through effective link building techniques. This can be a time-consuming chore but when done properly can have a long term positive effect on search engine rankings. Here are a number of techniques that I use on a regular basis to achieve number one rankings for many of my clients.
1. Article distribution. There are a variety of tools on the market that can help you publish your articles for redistribution by websites and blogs. Whether you are using tools or manually submitting to popular sites like EzineArticles.com or GoArticles.com, always be sure to post original content to your website or blog first. After approximately 72 hours, use an article spinner or distribution tool like Unique Article Wizard to send your content to popular article directories. Over time, back links included in your articles will pass link authority and Google Page Rank back to your website.
2. Blog posting. Blogs offer a variety of benefits from an SEO perspective. If you have a blog associated with your website (which, amongst other things, can help with rankings on Yahoo! and Bing) then you’re already familiar with the benefits it brings. User-generated content in the form of comments are a valuable resource for your website from a search engine perspective – which are always seeking sites that offer fresh content.
Another great benefit can be acquired from blogs from within your niche. Seek out “do follow” blogs where your links will be recognized and associated to your website. The mistake individuals often make when posting to blogs in the form of comments, is a lack of well thought out or meaningful responses. To get the maximum value out of blog posting provide a quality comment, making sure you use your anchor text in the name field and site URL in the website field. Comments must be on topic and valuable in order to be approved by moderators. Never leave your link in the post itself. Nine times out of ten it will be deleted by moderators before it’s even read.
3. Forum posting. When building links, seek out forums that are in your niche. Being active in a forum is a great way to get and give advice. In addition, it’s a wonderful source for inbound links. Many forums allow posts to be bookmarked or rated, allowing certain threads to be easily found by search engines. Some forums require a minimum of 10 posts before you can include your signature or links in your posts. As is true with any link building method, the content you generate needs to be on topic and of interest. If you contribute in this way, the links that are included in your signature and point back to your site will carry authority.
4. Profile listing. An often misunderstood and overlooked technique is to find sites that have a high Google Page Rank and build a unique registration profile that is easily accessed by search engines. A good example of this is a site that includes a community. If you’re in the music niche for instance, sign up with guitar manufacturer Fender.com and build a registration profile that includes a link to the page for which you want to improve your ranking.
5. Social bookmarking. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard people talking about Delicious or Digg, but these sites are still spidered frequently by Google, Yahoo! and Bing. You should bookmark key pages of your website or blog using “do follow” social bookmarking tools such as SocialMarker.com which identifies social bookmarking sites.
Achieving top search engine rankings is possible when your website is well optimized. Add an effective link building strategy and your success is certain. Remember that when you embark on a link building campaign, slow and steady wins the race. Build links too quickly and you could set off the alarms at the major search engines. I recommend only 10 link submissions daily, as a number of these may not be accepted, depending on which link building method you use. If you are adding between 5 – 10 links per day, you’ll fly well below the radar while building website authority. Unless you’re breaking news, links should be acquired in a steady manner. The positive effects will last longer and give you the results you’re looking for.