Sadly, we are talking computer cookies, not the chocolate chip variety.
Computer cookies are small text files stored on your computer by your web browser. Below, you can find out what cookies we use and how they help us run this website.
How cookies help
Cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you'd expect
- Remember your settings during and between visits
- Improve the speed and security of the site
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook
- Continuously improve our website for you
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties
You can choose not to allow cookies. But, if you do, we can't guarantee that your site experience will be as good as if you do allow cookies.
Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance.
These links explain how you can control cookies via your browser - remember that if you turn off cookies in your browser then these settings apply to all websites, not just this one:
- Internet Explorer (IE): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835 This page links to further information for different versions of IE. The mobile version is at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/web/changing-privacy-and-other-browser-settings.aspx.
- Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95647
- Safari: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Safari/5.0/en/9277.html or for mobile versions http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677
- Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Enabling%20and%20disabling%20cookies
- Android: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=169022
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
Alternatively, you can read this useful post: http://www.attacat.co.uk/resources/cookies/how-to-ban
Types of cookie that may be used during your visit to the website
The following types of cookie are used on this site. We don't list every single cookie used by name - but for each type of cookie we tell you how you can control its use.
Our own cookies
There is no way to prevent these cookies being set other than to not use our site.
We use Google Analytics software to monitor how visitors move around the website and how they reached it. This is used so that we can see total (not individual) figures on which types of content users enjoy most, for instance.
You may opt out here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Third party functions
- Videos (powered by YouTube and Vimeo)
- Presentation Slides (powered by SlideShare)
Social website cookies
Many users want to 'Like' or share our content on social media - such as:
- Google Plus
These services may set cookies.
Let us know what you think
If you have any views on the cookies we are using, we would welcome your input at: www.wordtracker.com/contact